The Definition of the Roman scale is presented as an instrument used for weighing, consisting of a lever with very uneven arms, with the faithful on the point of support. The body to be weighed is placed at the end of the smaller arm, and it is balanced with a pylon or constant weight that tends to run over the larger arm, where the scale is delayed.
ROMAN Scales and Other Models on Sale at AMAZON Online Stores in United State, Canada and United Kingdom. Look For Prices, Offers, Features, Models, Brands and Reviews
Operation of the Roman Scale
In the case of the mechanical roman scales, these scales can be by counterweight or with elastic spring. The scales with counterweight act by means of a mechanism of levers that help to weigh.
This lever mechanism transforms the force corresponding to the weight of the object to be measured into a moment of force, which is balanced by means of the displacement of a pylon along a graduated bar, where the weight of the mass can be read.
The operating principle of these scales is similar to that of a balance, by means of mass comparison, through indirect measurement by weighing objects.
Ancient Roman Scale
These scales are currently used for decoration and are sought after and purchased by collectors who love this type of scale.
Digital Roman Scale
This digital scale can facilitate the weighing of your packages and luggage. Some have the capacity to support a maximum weight of 50kg. This type of scale is a useful tool for home, travel and outdoor activities.
- They have LCD display and LED backlight. These scales have tare function and weight value lock function. They also have temperature measurement function by pressing a button, the temperature value can be seen on the display.
- Many have an indicator that tells you the low battery level. This type of scale normally turns off in 2 minutes automatically when not in use.
- An example of a digital Roman scale is the portable Sunlera scale with a Mini LCD display
- The mini-shop is designed with blue light in its background, which makes the number clear to read even at night.
- It has a large LCD digital display that gives great comfort for reading.
- Its electronic LCD scale is lightweight and compact, which is very easy and convenient for you to take anywhere you want. The bottom of the electronic scale is created with the hook, which is extremely convenient for the user to weigh any object.
Roman Hanging Scale
The design of these scales is ultra-light, ideal for businesses in constant movement such as: delivery units, flea markets, etc. They are portable scales, which have 100% visibility in any environment, with a capacity of up to 100kg, the material of the housing can be found laminated and the hook made of steel.
Roman Half Moon Scale
This Roman scale is made of iron or copper, commonly known as a half-moon scale. It has two faces and two hooks, each face has a scale and a hook, can measure from 2 in 2 kilograms, up to 22 kilograms, and others measure from 20 in 20 kilograms, up to 200 kilograms.
They have a double-ended needle to mark the weight. The fractions can be read, the total vertical height can be 25.5 cm by 10 cm horizontally and they can be 2 cm thick.
Roman Hook Scale
These scales have a hook with a measuring scale. The weight of the objects can be in kilos and pounds from 0 to 25 kg. Some scales of this type have a spring system, with an upper ring and a lower hook for weighing. They are designed for do-it-yourself and home use. They can be made of plastic or metal.
Roman Scale Inventor Brand
This type of primitive measuring instrument from the beginning consisted of a column with a shaft tied with a string at whose ends, in turn, were held by other ropes.
As the years passed, the Egyptians gradually modified their invention, so that by 1500 they added a plumb bob that allowed them to verify whether or not the instrument itself was leveled according to the requirements they themselves established.
The Romans were also able to create their own system for measuring weight, while the Egyptians were enriched by their own invention because they perfected it over and over again.
In fact, to the plumb bob they later added a needle, popularly known today as a felix, which indicates the balance between the plates of the measuring operator, who also points out the exact moment for the calculation of the weight.
But the Roman civilization, as mentioned above, did not remain stagnant in its invention. Around the year 200 B.C. they managed to make room for what later became known as the Roman hook.
The history of the scale and balance grew and this instrument was widely spread during the empire. It was in 1830 when Thaddeus Fairbanks invented what we know today as the Roman scale
Until our dates the scales have evolved to what we know today, but it has not stopped being the old and primitive means to provide reliability when making a measurement.
How to Make a Roman Scale ?
To make a Roman scale at home you will need the following materials
- Plastic from a chocolate egg.
- Jewelry chains that you can find at home, the thinner the better.
- A toothpick.
- Plasticine or any kind of dough that stays hard.
Now we move on to make the scale, from the plastic of the chocolate egg we cut the bottom part that will form the base of the scale, when cut it will be in the form of a plate.
- On the toothpick they make faces that will represent the weight measurements.
- Cut three pieces of the thinnest chain you can find, the measures in this case will be 3.5 cm.
- With wire we make three pieces in the shape of “ese” that will join the plastic with the chain which will perforate the plastic and will want to be located in the shape of a triangle.
- Use another similar wire to join the chains to each other and hold them with the toothpick
- Then we make and mount the upper hook of the scale.
To make the weight we cut a piece of wire and give the shape of the hook on one side and put a piece of dough with the shape of the weight on the other side. We paint them if desired and then mount the weight in its place. Once it is completely assembled, it is hung somewhere and that is it.
Reference Price in Euros and Dollars of a Roman Scale
Whether they are old, or current you can find them in the markets with prices ranging from 20 Euros or Dollars to 300, in the case of the old Roman collection scales.
Most Wanted Roman Scales
- Urko M95460 – Roman weight 10 kg
- Wurko K3500 – Roman Hook
- Roman Pocket Hook Scale
- Portable Sunlera Mini LCD Display Luggage scales lighting Balance weight Roman Scale
Related Products in ALPHAPEDIA
About Laboratory Instruments in ALPHAPEDIA
Other Products of Interest in ALPHAPEDIA
Image of ROMAN SCALE
Prices and availability may differ from those published / Updated 2021-03-08 / Affiliate Links / Images are property of "Amazon Product Advertising API. Los precios y la disponibilidad pueden ser distintos a los publicados / Actualizados el 2021-03-08 / Enlaces de Afiliado / Las imágenes son propiedad de "Amazon Product Advertising API".