How to Convert a Drill Into a Sander ?
A cordless drill is a useful tool to have around, but you can do much more than just drill holes. On this page we will give you an explanation of how we will convert a drill into a sander. So don’t buy one, you can do it yourself.
Accessories in Amazon United State, Canada and United Kingdom that will allow you to have a Drill Sander
- First we glue a metal cylinder on a piece of wood and stick a piece of sandpaper on it. You will have to center it by turning the drill and holding a pencil on the wood to draw the path of the drill’s sweep. You install its metal cylinder perpendicular to the wood, it will not wobble as it turns and you will be able to cut out the circular shape of the sanding disc.
- We use contact cement to glue the sanding paper to the sanding disc.
- Loosen the chuck on an electric or pneumatic drill. Turn the chuck counterclockwise by hand to loosen it or use a chuck wrench. Remove any drill or driver bits installed in the chuck.
Insert the sanding disc holder mounting post into the chuck. Tighten the chuck by hand or with a wrench to secure the sanding disc holder.
- Select the abrasive or sanding disc according to the type of work to be done or according to your personal preference.
- The diameter of the sanding disc must be the same as the sanding disc holder.
- Remove the protective backing of the abrasive or sanding disc by removing it to reveal an adhesive surface.
Align the sanding or abrasive disc with the sanding disc holder mounted in the hole. Press the disc securely into the sanding disc holder.
- Connect the portable drill to a power source or air supply. Then we have our own.
Drill Accessories for Converting into a Sander
We have the drum sets for sanding, these turn your drill into a mini-sander. Clean marks on contour cuts, smooth rough edges or sand inside drilled holes with these accessories. Sanding discs are available for mounting on electric or air-powered hand drills. From removing joint material to paint, varnish and rust, sanding discs can help reduce the amount of grease on the elbow needed to prepare a part or surface for refinishing.
It is not difficult to find a number of different sanding and polishing bits to fit any standard drill. Drum sanding bits generally come in a variety of sizes and are excellent when you need to sand in an odd-shaped location. They can remove quite a bit of material, so if you haven’t used them before, try them on a piece of wood first.
Sandpaper Drill Adapter in United State and Canada
|1||LANHU 120 To 5000 Assorted Grit Sandpaper … (36 Pcs)||AMAZON PRICE / PRECIO|
|2||UEETEK: papel de lija seca y al agua, grano...||AMAZON PRICE / PRECIO|
|3||Trumpeter Tools - Sandpaper||AMAZON PRICE / PRECIO|
Abrasive pads are available for mounting on handheld and electric drills. Once the abrasive pad holder is properly installed, a variety of abrasive papers and pads can be placed to meet various needs.
Drill Cutting Disc
Cutting with a hole saw is dangerous, but if you pay close attention and follow the instructions, you can easily do it
Step 1: take the bolt and insert the nut.
Use a wrench to fully tighten it to the head of the bolt. The purpose of adding a nut here is to ensure the robustness of the layout, as it would provide a larger area compared to the bolt head.
Step 2: Now insert a metal washer, followed by a plastic washer. The metal washer acts as a lock washer here. The plastic washer is used to reduce vibration.
Step 3: Now insert the blade into it. Make sure that all components are properly secured.
Step 4: Now place another plastic washer, followed by the second nut. Use a wrench to tighten the nut.
Step 5: Use this assembly as a modified bit and put it on the chuck as usual.
Step 6: Put on safety glasses, turn on the drill and start cutting.
A word of caution, due to repeated operation, the assembly may become loose. Keep a wrench handy to fix it by tightening the bolts.
A couple of things can be improved even more:
- The metal washer can also be added before the second nut. That should make the arrangement more stable and balanced.
- You can use the half-threaded bolt that would give a better grip when inserted into the chuck.
How to Polish with the Drill Sander?
- Polishing wheels, grills, bumpers and reaching areas with fantastic results by using drill attachments, designed to polish surfaces.
- Faster and more effective than hand polishing, our drill polishing tools use the speed and power of your power drill to polish surfaces with a spectacular shine and unmatched silkiness. Hand polishing is hard work – it’s easier to polish with a drill!
- We have a wide variety of small polishing pads that fit any drill. These accessories are designed to give you the performance of a polisher in a compact size that is perfect for polishing smaller surfaces and there are other accessories for larger surfaces.
Using a Drill as a Milling Machine
Milling drills are a lighter alternative to a milling machine. They combine a drill (belt driven) with the X/Y coordinate capabilities of the milling table and a locking collar that ensures that the cutting tool does not fall off the spindle when lateral forces are experienced against the drill.
Although they have a lightweight construction, they have the advantage of being space-saving and versatile, as well as economical, and are suitable for lightweight machining that would otherwise be unaffordable.
How to Make a Home Drill Sander ?
This is a simple electric sander that you can make at home if you have a small 12V drilling machine, the one used for printed circuit boards.
- We need a small, handy sander, some metal sheets (I used a sweet box with cookies)
- Sandpaper (You can use any grain, but for metal and material removal, use 100,200 or 300 grains)
- Old toy wheels and a steel bar. You can use a steel rod that comes as an axle for the same wheel. I used an old cloth hanger and a toy train wheel.
- Having this we started by cutting the metal. Now cut the metal sheet into a circle, a little larger than the wheel, cut the sandpaper to the same size. Keep the diameter around 2-3 inches according to your requirement, attach the wheel with the steel rod to the metal plate.
- Just use some super glue to join the two. Be sure to mark the center before doing this, now cut the sandpaper in a circle like the metal sheet. Use double-sided tape to stick it to the metal plate, as it can be reused or just use any adhesive and you’re done.
We have a homemade sander, with materials we can easily find.
Related Products in ALPHAPEDIA
Other Topics of Interest in ALPHAPEDIA
Drill Sander Image
Prices and availability may differ from those published / Updated 2020-06-01 / Affiliate Links / Images are property of "Amazon Product Advertising API. Los precios y la disponibilidad pueden ser distintos a los publicados / Actualizados el 2020-06-01 / Enlaces de Afiliado / Las imágenes son propiedad de "Amazon Product Advertising API".